Camping can be a demanding activity which is why packing along one of the best camping chairs for bad backs makes a world of difference.
But, with so many similar camping chairs that claim to be good for a bad back, how to choose the correct one?
That’s where we come in. We’ve researched, reviewed, and compiled a list of all the best camping chairs for bad backs currently available online.
What are Camping Chairs for Bad Backs?
Before we get ahead of ourselves, let us answer the seemingly obvious questions “what are camping chairs for bad backs?”
Camping chairs that include lower lumbar support, superior shocks built right in, and consist of the highest grade materials are what we would consider camping chairs for bad backs.
A good camping chair for a bad back is not a cheap and flimsy camping chair that you can buy at Walmart or through Amazon for a few dollars. You will need to invest a few dollars.
Best Camping Chairs for Bad Backs
- KingCamp Camping Chair With Lumbar Back Support
- Timber Ridge Camping Chair Ergonomic High Back Support
- STRONGBACK Elite Folding Camping Chair with Lumbar Support
- G4Free Upgraded Lightweight Portable Camping Chair High Back With Headrest
- Sunyear Lightweight Compact Folding Camping Backpack Chair
- G4Free Portable Camping Chair Medium Size with Headrest
- KingCamp Low Sling Beach Camping Folding Chair
- MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Camping Chair
- SOVIGOUR Folding Camping Chair
- STRONGBACK Low Gravity Camping Chair with Built-in Lumbar Support
What to Consider Before Buying a Camping Chairs for Bad Backs?
Now that we know we’re looking for something a bit more elaborate than a basic camp chair, let’s discuss a few of the main considerations to make while shopping for the best camping chair for a bad back.
Here are a few of the most significant factors to look for in a great camping chair for bad backs:
Quality of Materials
The overall quality of a product is in large part determined by the quality of the individual materials and components that it is made up of. That said, camping chairs consist of several parts and multiple types of materials (from heavy plastics to rubber and lightweight metals) so it is important to thoroughly check or research before purchasing.
In chairs of any sort, let alone the kind you use for relaxing out in the middle of nowhere, the level of comfort and support added by cushions and padding is vastly important. It is probably the single greatest factor that influences how comfortable the chair is overall (outside of the general quality of materials).
The best camping chairs for bad backs come with extra padding and supportive cushions specifically for the lower back and neck. If you are considering buying a camping chair, for your bad back, and it doesn’t come with extra cushion or padding, you may want to continue searching instead of making that purchase.
Size and Shape
As with human beings, and most things in life, size, and shape of camping chairs vary greatly. And, depending on how bad your back is, and what part of it bothers you the most, the size and shape of camping chair that is best for supporting your bad back will vary also.
Generally speaking, camping chairs for bad backs come in larger sizes. Many camping chairs for bad backs even come on extra-large frames. The more room you have for lounging, and the more room for extra padding, the better the chair is for your aching body.
One feature that many folks shopping for camping chairs tend to overlook is whether or not the chair comes with footrests. At first glance, or thought, footrests more than likely appear insignificant. That is far from the truth, however.
The fact of the matter is that footrests provide a ton of relief. Camping chairs with footrests allow for better posture and remove loads of pressure from the small of your back and neck. Thus, footrests are indeed an important consideration to make when shopping for a camping chair for your bad back.
Speaking of features such as footrests, there are several additional features that the best camping chairs come with. These features include drink holders, built-in coolers, USB ports, and more.
Depending on your idea of what the best camping chair should include, make sure to check what features are included with your chair prior to your purchase.
Last but not least, the overall cost of the camping chair should be considered before buying it. Even once you’ve found what you believe to be the perfect chair for you and your bad back, make sure to compare prices and features against competitor products before making that final decision.
The best camping chairs for bad backs may cost anywhere from approximately $25 to well over $100.
10 Best Camping Chairs for Bad Backs Reviews
Here it is, the list you’ve been waiting for; the best 10 camping chairs for bad backs:
The first chair on our list is the KingCamp Camping Chair With Lumbar Back Support. An obvious choice for camping chairs for bad backs, this product comes with lumbar support built right in.
The chair is not only comfortable and supportive of your bad back, but it’s also lightweight and won’t add to your back pain either. It also comes with side pockets for storing devices and other small items.
There’s an extra storage room in the head of the chair as well as a cooler bag built-right in (it can easily fit two or three drinks) too.
All in all, this chair consists of high-grade materials, expert craftsmanship from a trusted manufacturer, and provides relief for back pain while camping, all for a surprisingly reasonable price.
- Lumbar support and comfortable design
- Cooler bag built-in
- Side pocket and head storage bag
- Lightweight and high-quality frame
- 1-year warranty and customer service
- It could have more cushion
- More storage wouldn’t hurt
The Timber Ridge Camping Chair Ergonomic High Back Support is the second item on our list. It is a highly recommended camping chair for bad backs that come with an ergonomic high back and padded armrests for added support.
Timber Ridge is a well-known producer of outdoor gear, and this camping chair is a prime example of why they are a trusted brand. It’s everything you need in a chair for camping if you have a bad back.
Featuring a strong steel frame, comfortable and spacious design, back support, cup holder, and more, there are few competitor products that genuinely compare to it (especially where the price point is concerned).
- High back support and wide seat
- Durable steel frame
- Padded armrests and semi-insulated cup holder
- Folds and stores easily
- It could support more weight than 300 pounds
STRONGBACK’s Elite Folding Camping Chair with Lumbar Support is our third pick for the best camping chair for bad backs currently available for purchasing online. It consists of high-grade materials only and includes award-winning (and patented) extra lumbar support that is built right in as well.
It has a 300-pound weight limit, strong connectors, and high-quality nylon and mesh fabric, making it sturdy and comfortable at the same time. The armrests are padded, cup holders are included, and it also comes with storage.
The Elite camping chair from STRONGBACK is definitely one of the best on our list. With it’s integrated lumbar support and supportive cushions, long-lasting frame, and a two-year warranty from the manufacturer, it’s really hard to beat (which is why it costs a bit more than other camping chairs).
- Award-winning back support design
- Heavy-duty construction yet lightweight design
- Easy to fold and store
- Padded armrests and extra built-in lumbar cushion
- 2-year manufacturer’s warranty
- It could support more than 300 pounds
- May cost more than competitor products
The next camping chair for bad backs on our list is the G4Free Upgraded Lightweight Portable Camping Chair High Back with Headrest. This one is not only good for your back but it also helps relieve tension in your neck too.
A comfortable camping chair with a 7075 aluminum tube frame, comfy cushions, and higher legs than most, it’s easy to set up, break down, and store or transport. It also has a side pocket built-in.
The G4Free Upgraded Camping Chair also features one of the most naturally relaxing designs on this list (imagine a comfortable sun lounger and a supportive camping chair had a baby, this chair would be it) as well as offers a 30-day refund policy and a one year warranty.
- Weighs less than 3 pounds
- High and wide design including a headrest
- Higher legs promote a superior comfort level
- Durable 7075 aluminum body
- 1-year warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee
- It could have more practical storage
- The frame isn’t as heavy-duty as many of the other chairs on our list
Sunyear’s Lightweight Compact Folding Camping Backpack Chair is our fifth option for a great camping chair that eases your back pain. This one is excellent for backpackers as it is lightweight and foldable as well as offering extra support for your back.
Easy to carry and set up, this deep-seat designed camping chair consists of a 7075 aluminum tube and connectors frame and breathable mesh nylon material. Pricewise, the chair is a real bargain for those who have fewer back issues than the next guy.
Those who have serious back problems may want to skip this camping chair and opt for another choice from our list.
- Affordable price
- Compact, portable, deep-seat design
- 7075 aircraft-grade aluminum design (2.1 pounds)
- Breathable and comfortable nylon/mesh material
- 1-year manufacturer warranty and customer service
- The frame and connectors (though solid enough) could be heavier duty
- The chair could add more cushion for lumbar support (despite its comfortable deep-seat design)
Another G4Free product to make our list is this Portable Camping Chair Medium Size with Headrest. As with a few of the other choices on our list, this chair is great for neck and body pain in general, not just bad backs.
That said, this particular chair is geared towards backpackers as it has a lightweight aluminum frame and features a deep-seat with a quick-fold design. It features also a cushioned headrest and basic storage via a side pocket.
The chair’s maximum weight limit is 265 pounds and it includes a 30-day money-back guarantee and 1-year warranty from the manufacturer. That said, the purchase is practically risk-free.
- Medium size chair with a cushioned headrest
- Lightweight 7075 aluminum construction
- Comfortable seat and convenient side pocket
- Great for backpackers with lower back pain
- Quick-folding design
- 1-year warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only supports weights of up to 265 pounds
- The side pocket is basic and the chair could use extra storage areas
- The chair could use more cushion
The second KingCamp chair to grace our list of the best camping chairs for bad backs is the Low Sling Beach Camping Concert Folding Chair, Low and High Mesh Back Two Versions.
Made with the same high-grade materials as the other KingCamp we listed, this one features a slightly different design available in your choice of highback or lowback-style models. We believe these chairs are some of the best around, whether for camping, RVing, or BBQing.
At any rate, high or low back, the chair features a quick open and close design for easy carry and storage, foam-wrapped arms, a cupholder, back cushion, and a strong steel frame capable of holding as much as 300 pounds.
- Heavy-duty steel frame supports 300 pounds
- Breathable mesh material for superior cooling ability
- Cup holders and foam armrests
- Lowback or highback versions available
- Carry case with straps (turns into a pillow)
- Weighs nearly 4 or 5 pounds more than lightweight camping chairs
- Could support more weight for being made of steel and nylon mesh materials
MARCHWAY’s Ultralight Folding Camping Chair is perhaps the most ultralight folding chair for camping, and bad backs, on our list. It’s sturdy, consisting of high-quality 7075 air-craft-grade aluminum and nylon/mesh materials, and is long-lasting.
We liked it due to all of the above in addition to how supportive it is for stiff muscles and sore joints.
What more can you really ask for? If you don’t have major back issues, this chair is a steal of a deal. That said, if you have medical conditions that cause you back pain aside from the aches and pains of camping, another chair may be more suitable for you.
Designed with backpackers and nature-lovers on the go in mind, the chair features a quick-folding design with a simple velcro strap. It weighs less than two pounds.
- Ergonomic and affordable design
- Breathable nylon material helps you stay cool
- Foldable design with velcro straps
- Weighs less than two pounds
- Maximum weight limit of 250 pounds
- May not be as heavy-duty as advertised as it is rated for well under 300 pounds
The next chair on this list is the SOVIGOUR Folding Camping Chair. If you’re searching for a lightweight camping chair that will fold, is easy to pack up and carry, as well as being able to support your aching back, this could be the one for you.
Constructed from high-grade 7075 aluminum and reinforced with strong and long-lasting connectors, as well as breathable nylon and mesh, the chair weighs less than two full pounds. It has a capacity of 330 pounds and comes with its own carrying case as well.
For backpackers, RVers, or campers with strained and sore backs from bending and physically exhorting themselves, the SOVIGOUR Folding Camping Chair is a great pick.
- Maximum weight limit of 330 pounds
- Supportive and breathable seat material
- Constructed with heavy-duty aluminum and strong connectors
- Easy to operate, carry, and store
- Comes with a personal carry bag
- Additional cushion or padding in the lower back area of the seat wouldn’t hurt
- Has no real warranty or guarantee options aside from possible retailer warranties and return policies
STRONGBACK’s Low Gravity Camping Chair with Built-in Lumbar Support is the last camping chair for bad backs on the list. That said, it is far from the last option. Designed to sit low to the ground, this chair is both incredibly comfortable and award-winning includes lumbar support patented by the producer.
A heavy-duty aluminum construction mixed with high-end nylon and mesh gives the chair a light and easy to handle weight. It can hold up to 300 pounds and comes with integrated support cushions built-into the frame.
If you’re looking for the best low gravity camping chair for bad backs, you just found one of them. This particular model is new and improved with higher-grade materials and stronger connector points than ever.
- Less expensive than other models from the same manufacturer
- Award-winning lumbar support and extra padding for bad backs
- Heavy-duty materials and lightweight design
- Improved locking positions and connectors
- 300-pound weight limit
- 2-year warranty and customer service
- May not be as comfortable for larger-framed persons
- More expensive than comparable chairs, regardless of costing less than other models from the same manufacturer
Which Camping Chair is Best for Your Bad Back?
Depending on your size, shape, and the nature and severity of your back issues, there are a number of excellent camping chairs on the market to choose from.
Our first choice is the KingCamp Camping Chair With Lumbar Back Support. The chair comes at a fair price and offers up all the great benefits the best camping chairs for bad backs should.
It has lumbar support, it’s easy to handle, it’s actually comfortable, and the list goes on and on. All around, we think it’s genuinely one of the best deals around.
The running up for best camping chair for bad backs is STRONGBACK’s Elite Folding Camping Chair with Lumbar Support. This chair was number three on our official list only because of its high price point. Aside from a higher cost than most camping chairs, this seat is superior to others in almost every way possible.
Do you know about a great camping chair, especially for those of us with bad backs? Feel free to share with our audience in the comments section below!