OvernightRVParking.com – Review
With the ever-increasing cost of campgrounds, many RVers are looking for Free Overnight RV Parking. There are many folks searching on RV Forums and Google looking for Overnight RV Parking every day. It has just become too expensive for RVers to spend $50 to stay one night at a campground and then be on the way to their ultimate destination in the morning.
So, what is the best way to find free overnight parking? The best way to find free overnight RV parking is through an app called OvernightRVParking.com. OvernightRVParking.com is the largest database of free RV parking locations in the US and Canada.
Their impressive database consists of approximately 14,000 RV Parking and No Parking locations. This is a ton of locations. When I spoke to the owner of OvernightRVParking.com I learned that he and his subscribers have been adding locations to the database for over 10 years now. And the database keeps growing with more subscribers adding new locations and updating existing ones.
What is Overnight RV Parking?
Overnight RV Parking just means that you are parking your RV for one night to get some sleep while you travel from one destination to another. So, rather than pay $50 to stay one night in a campground and then leave the next morning some folks prefer to save their money and find a free place to park. Hence the term, overnight RV parking.
Parking differs from camping though. When you park overnight you don’t set up camp by extending the awning, breaking out the folding chairs and having a barbecue. You typically park in a parking lot to get some shut-eye and hit the road in the morning toward your ultimate camping destination. So, why pay for a campsite just to arrive after dark and then leave in the morning when there are so many places to stay for free overnight?
How Does OvernightRVParking.com Work?
OvernightRVParking.com allows it’s members to search by location to find free overnight RV parking locations. You can either search from your computer or download the app and search on your phone. When you perform a search a map will appear with all of the locations in the database in your surrounding area. The locations are marked by different colored pins which denote the overnight parking status for each location. For example, a bright green pin means it’s ok to park overnight and a red pin means overnight parking is not permitted. There are seven informative pin colors each with their own meaning. An example of a search is below.
When you hover over a pin the name of the location will pop up and when you click on it an information box appears to the right as shown above for a Walmart SuperCenter. So, as you can see the information includes the store name, parking status, address, and telephone number. It also includes comments, directions and the date of the most recent update to the location. The comments include important information such as directions to speak to the manager prior to your stay. Also included is a description of the parking lot nearby restaurants, and gas stations too.
How Is Each Location Updated?
About 100 updates per week are added for new and existing locations from subscribers and from the folks at OvernightRVParking.com. Subscribers are encouraged to fill out the Overnight RV Parking Site Report Form and submit it for review each time they stay overnight somewhere. OvernightRVParking then reviews and verifies the information and if accepted they update the map and database and in return for the update, the subscriber has their membership extended by two weeks! It’s a great way for RVers to help their fellow RVers save some money and find a free place to stay the night too. In addition, OvernightRVParking.com actively contacts stores, casinos, and local and state governments in order to find new locations and to be sure that the information provided is complete, accurate and up to date.
How Many Locations Are In The DataBase?
There are approximately 14,000 locations in the database! There is no other database as large or complete! Here are maps of the US and Canada showing all of the locations in the database. They are everywhere!
Examples of Locations That Allow Free Overnight Parking
Many locations allow free RV overnight parking. In fact, I have written articles about free overnight parking at Walmart, Cracker Barrel, and Costco. And there are lots of other locations that allow free overnight RV parking too. Here is a list of some locations but there are many others too.
- Bass Pro Shops
- Home Depot
- Grocery Stores
- Pilot Flying J Travel Centers
- Rest Areas
- Planet Fitness (If you have a membership)
There are literally thousands of places to stay for free overnight! And these and many others are included and available in the app.
What Other Apps Find Free Over Night Parking for RVs?
Allstays is another really good app that locates free overnight parking for RV’s. Actually, Allstays offers a suite of apps. They have two in particular that can show free locations for free overnight parking. The two apps are Allstays Rest Stops Plus at $1.99 and Allstays Overnight Parking Walmart at $2.99. If combined these two apps contain info about every Walmart and rest stop in the country. However, they do not include all of the thousands of other locations that allow free overnight RV parking such as Cracker Barrel, Costco, Safeway, Flying J Pilot, Cabela’s and hundreds of other free parking locations across the US and Canada. Another option is to upgrade to Allstays Pro and get the entire suite of apps which include all of their apps and more including truck stops, campgrounds, dump stations, propane locations and much more. The yearly subscription is $32.95 but they knock $3.00 off of that if you sign up for auto-renew.
What We Like About OvernightRVParking.com
- Saving Money – We don’t always stay overnight in a parking lot. But when we are in transit from one place to another and need a place to pull over and sleep this app comes in handy. We really don’t like spending $50 to spend one night in a campground when we arrive after dark and then hit the road in the morning. So, this app helps to save us hundreds of dollars a year.
- Updates From Other RVers – We like to receive updates from other RVers with info about the location. We can quickly see where we will park and if there are gas stations or restaurants around too. Other RVers are interested in the same info we are so their updates are right on target.
- We Know Where We Can’t Stay – The app tells us where we can stay but also where we can’t park overnight. It’s great because we don’t waste time driving to a Walmart that doesn’t allow overnight RV parking.
- Updates From RVers are Verified – I review products, services and campgrounds and I am always shocked at how many reputable sources have incorrect info. With OvernightRVParking, when an RVer updates a location the admin team takes the time to verify the info by calling the store or municipality to confirm. This helps to ensure accurate info. This is what sets OvernightRVParking apart from other apps.
- We Get to Help Other RVers – We like the idea that by updating or creating an overnight location we are helping our fellow RVers. It’s nice to have a way to give back to the RV community.,
What We Don’t Like
- The Website and App Look a Little Out of Date – This isn’t a big deal to me but the website and app do look old. This website has been around a long time. OvernightRVParking started in April of 2008 which is why it is by far the most exhaustive list of free overnight parking (and places you can’t park overnight).
If you’re like us, we think it’s just too expensive to spend $30 to $50 a night – or more! — to stay in an RV park every night. Staying free or nearly free sounds a lot better to us! We think that OvernightRVparking.com is the best source for free and inexpensive places to stay with an RV. And, their database now has more than 14,000 locations listed. You can check it out here: OvernightRVparking.com
NOTE – If you are interested its best to sign up online first through one of the links on our page. Then you can visit the app store and download the app afterward. This will ensure you get a 15-month membership instead of a 12-month membership. Full transparency – we do make a few bucks if you sign up through our link but we hope you found the info in this article helpful and the 3 additional months of membership worth it.